Friday, June 10, 2011

Religion and politics do not make good bedfellows.

It made me quite angry today to hear in the news the comments from the Archbishop of Canterbury attacking the coalition Government.
As anyone who knows me will be aware I am an atheist, and whilst as a Liberal Democrat I fully agree with the right of everyone to be able to practice their own religion I do not believe that religion should have any influence over the state.
Of course the Archbishop is as entitled as any other individual to his views, but surely in his position he should also be apolitical?  His job is to look after the morale and spiritual wellbeing of his flock surely?  And whilst their well-being is certainly enhanced  (or otherwise) by a whole variety of state provided services then it is in my humble opinion not his job to make political attacks on any Government that is elected by the people of this country.
I have to say I agree with the Prime Minister when he says that there is
‘nothing "good or moral" in passing national debts to the next generation, trapping people on welfare or in schools that were not offering a good education’
Religion and politics do not make good bedfellows.

1 comment:

DutchEnery said...

Nice to be an atheist! At least you believe in something. Surely the Archbishop like anyone else is entitled to his views and to express them. That he also happens to be a religious leader is neither here nor there. As a religious leader myself I would not shy away from commenting severely on the state of our society which for the most part is the result of the terrible failings of our politicians!